I got some shit to say. And I'm lazy.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Super 'Tude Day

In the summer of 1992, right before the Democratic National Convention, it was announced that Bill Clinton would select Al Gore as his running mate. I remember this not from AP News bulletin or CNN, but rather my parents talking excitedly about it to one another in hushed tones at the dinner table. The old man had just come home from another day of making beer, and it was late summer. My mother was so excited she could barely contain herself. (this in and of itself is extremely rare.) She told him all about what she'd seen on the news that day, and he took it in, thoughtfully, as the old man takes in pretty much anything.

That image has stuck with me for the last 16 years, and now, as we are here, at the dawn of Super Tuesday, I find myself thinking on it again. I want to feel that excitement that they felt as we are down to the wire in essentially deciding what candidate the Democratic party will choose, and for that matter, the Republicans. The one I believed most in let himself be excused from the table last week, and make fun of me all you want, but dammit, I believed John Edwards when he spoke, and I got emotional watching his exit speech. I now have to pick someone, anyone, for tomorrow, and I am vasilating wildly. I think both Hilary and Barack have something to offer, but I'm not sure I totally buy into their whole package.

Anyway, that's it. Get out and vote, mofos.

Also, congrats to the New York Giants. What a great game. I'm sad that history wasn't made, but I'm also more sad at the way some people choose to celebrate victory. Making jokes about violence towards women is never funny.

Yea, never.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home