I got some shit to say. And I'm lazy.

Friday, June 15, 2007

The Right Way to Celebrate; Puro Vida


First off, all the respect in the world to the definitive basketball team of the last ten years, my hometown San Antonio Spurs!!!

Secondly, I was accussed of not being a real fan last night by some idiot-erudite- east-coast-philosphy-professor-schmucko. I guess because as the buzzer sounded my fist pump and rash of both incoming and outgoing phone calls to Puro San Antonians hither and yawn was somehow not quite jack assy enough. I should have whooped it up more in a public place, taunted the losing team's fans, and then let everyone know JUST. HOW. MUCH. I. CARE.

Sorry jerk face, but that's not the San Antonio way. We celebrate with class, dignity, and respect for the losing team's fans. Anyone who is close to me knows why the Spurs mean so much to me. Don't think I didn't go home from the bar and dance around all night as I packed to go out west this morning singing quietly to myself, 'Go Spurs Go!' Maybe I should have reminded everyone at the bar I was a philosophy professor every chance I got. Oh wait, sorry, that was you.

The Spurs somehow got labeled a boring team sometime around 2000 and it's stuck ever since. The evidence is clearer than ever that this is simply not true, what with Tony Parker slashing and cutting, Manu Ginobnli defying the laws of physics, and Robert Horry playing his heart out at 38. But guess what? Casual fans, much like America in general, are ill-informed and make snap judgement calls. A casual observer will read one article on something and decide it must be fact. Which is not to say we should all dedicate twenty hours a week to finding out the truth in regards to professional basketball, but, if some guy from ESPN says Tim Duncan's boring because he doesn't get flashy and scream and fight, then so be it. It must be true, right?

It's also because there are no histronics, there are no thugs, there are no jersey popping, chest thumping fools out there taking ill advised three point shots. The Spurs, much like San Antonio itself, quitely just get the job done. They leave the whooping and posturing to other folks, other teams, other towns. I take pride in them for that, and definitely have a chip on my shoulder about the lack of respect they get from the media at large, if only because as a an artist, I can relate.
I'm very concerned that my work is taken for granted.

It's good to know that my fandom, at the very least, is being called in to question. At least SOMEONE'S talking about me, right?

but that's not what this is all about.
this is:



Congrats Spurs. You've EARNED it. Don't let anyone tell YA'LL otherwise.
(i know you won't.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home